Friday, November 14, 2014

Book Review: Nicole Benson by Brooke Chatham

Nicole Benson
Buy it Here
Age Appropriate For: Ages 13 and up for mild violence and some mildly scary scenes
Best for Ages: 13 and up

Description: Nicole Benson is on the run from the FBI and CIA for crimes she claims she didn’t commit. With a regretful and traumatized past, she struggles with her own identity while constantly running from the Russian terrorists whom she believes have set her up in a massive terrorism plan. When Nicole meets Micah Kelly, the man who seems to have everything together in his life, she starts to wonder if there really is a God. Micah’s kindness to Nicole makes her realize there is more to life than chance, but she’s running out of time. Along with Micah, Nicole must prove her innocence to the authorities before the Russian terrorists finalize their plans to ruin her life . . . once and for all.

I stumbled across this book while doing some research for Homeschool Authors, one of the blogs I run. I just happened to find it while the book was free on Kindle and I snapped up a copy. For a while, it sat on my Kindle, forgotten. Than one of my friends wrote a very positive review for this book, and I decided I had to read it, proving once again reviews make a difference.

When I started this book, I thought I wouldn’t like it. I really don’t typically like books or movies that paint law-enforcement officers out to be the bad guys, or even put them in a bad light. At times I was also confused as to the motives of some of the players in the game Nicole is caught up in. I ended up loving this story, despite these issues.

Nicole herself was a well-developed character. She was rough around the edges, but that is understandable considering the life she has led. She is intelligent, strong, and could be caring at times. She is one of those people who grows on you after some time.

Micah was very real. He starts helping Nicole, having no idea what he is getting into. He doesn’t know anything about hiding from the law or any skill that will help Nicole. However, he truly cares about her. His faith shines in the grace he shows Nicole.

This story had non-stop action. There was barely time to take a breath while reading this story. It kept me on the edge of my seat, wondering what would happen next. There were very few moments where the characters stopped long enough to have a deep conversation. I enjoyed the pace, as it has been a long time since I have read an action-packed story.

I highly recommend this book for those who like action, adventure, and plots that keep twisting.


No comments:

Post a Comment