Monday, September 2, 2013

Interview with Aidyl Ewoh





Aidyl, welcome to Homeschool Authors. Tell us a little bit about yourself.
Thank you, Sarah. You’ve got a great blog and I’m excited about being interviewed on it. Let’s see: I’m a twenty-year-old girl who writes, lives in a barn, works on a private retreat, travels the world, and helped build a life-size model of a dinosaur. Exciting, right? More importantly though I’m a follower of God and hope to change the world. That’s me in a nutshell. A very little nutshell. 

What did you enjoy most about being homeschooled?
What did I enjoy most? That’s a hard one! I really liked the freedom to learn according to what I was interested in. Meaning I could focus more on the writing aspect of school then math (although I did do math!), because although I need math skills, I don’t have the desire to be the greatest math-brain of all time. Plus, being around my family and learning what my parents wanted me to learn was great. 

How did your homeschool experience prepare you to be a writer?
A big thing about writing is you don’t (generally) have a boss hanging over your shoulder hounding you to keep going. Same way with writing. You have to learn to be responsible (which everyone does, but I think homeschooling helped me with this). 
Also, I think I had more time than the average kid my age because I could incorporate writing into my every-day-schooling. 
And if I found a subject that was more interesting to me, I had the freedom to study it in more depth which is how I started writing in the first place. 

What caused you to start writing?
I enjoyed writing short little stories since who knows when. I got serious about it though right before I turned 14. My grandma was in the hospital and my mom was staying at a hotel to be near her. I would stay with my mom so she wouldn’t be lonely. Being a country girl I felt very overwhelmed by the huge city, so when I had the chance to write a short story for school, I latched on to it and that ‘short story’ turned into a 60,000 plus story. I haven’t stopped since then. =) 


What inspired you to write Cave Secrets of the Pterodactyl?
I love Christian apologetics. The Bible tells us in 1 Peter 3:15 "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh for a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:". I wanted to help kids learn to defend their faith while still having fun. 

What is it about?
It’s written by a twelve-year-old wannabe writer who is based off of me. She travels around with her parents, Buddy and Kay Davis and works at the Creation Museum. She gets to have a lot of adventures while on the road. 

Where can people get Cave Secrets of the Pterodactyl?

Who will enjoy it?
It’s written mainly for kids 8-12, but I think others would enjoy it as well. 

Are there any books that you would recommend for those who enjoy Cave Secrets of the Pterodactyl?
Tim Chaffey was my first editor. He has some cool creation books as well.

Do you have any final thoughts?
I actually go by two different names, depending on what I’m writing: This book is published under the name of Lydia Howe. 
 If anyone wants to find me online they can do so here: 


1 comment:

  1. It's so neat that Answers in Genesis carries your book. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete