Monday, November 26, 2012

Book Review: The Jeweler's Apprentice




Age Appropriate For: All Ages

Description: Fia Brithin is beginning an adventure. On her first visit to King Hanor's palace, 16 year old Fia Brithin stumbles into court intrigue. To keep the secret safe, the Chancelor sends her off as apprentice to a famous, and reclusive, high mountain jeweler ... and straight into adventure. Discovering gems with deep secrets and new friends with the same, Fia learns a whole lot more than just modeling wax. When to trust a stranger, and when not to; why not to try stealing from gem thieves; what heroism is, what royalty ought to be, and that the mountains themselves can sometimes be the greatest danger of all.

I met Elizabeth online not too long after I started Homeschool Authors. I have had her book on my Kindle waiting to read, but something always kept me from it. When her next book comes out, nothing will keep me from it. I can’t wait to find out what happens next!

This is Elizabeth’s first book, and at points it shows. There were a couple of weak spots where I wasn’t exactly sure what was going on. However, those were few and far between and did little to detract from the delightful story found within the pages of The Jeweler's Apprentice.

This was the kind of book I was wanted to read as a child: Full of adventure, daring yet feminine maidens, and good morals as the foundation of the story. It is so hard to find these kinds of books these days, although it seems the homeschool authors are working hard to fill the void.

As others have pointed out, Elizabeth has a great gift for word building. She built her non-magical fantasy world and culture very well.

I really loved how Fia loves her family, even when they are far apart. So many books have siblings that fight all the time or don’t like each other, but this book was different. I also enjoyed the peek into Jewelry making.
I highly recommend this book for children, youth, or anyone who likes adventure, clean fun, and non-magical fantasy.

Buy the book today on Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment