Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Book Review: Coming Day



Age group: 13+ For scary situations, and mild violence

Description: It has been two years since the last battle between the rebels of Pravik and the ruling Empire, and while they have been peaceful, they have also brought a new threat with them: Terrified of the supernatural powers evident in Pravik’s people and unwilling to be branded as traitors themselves, the surrounding communities will not trade with Pravik, dooming the city to a slow, starving death within its own walls. 
When emissaries arrive from the emperor, inviting the Ploughman to form an alliance with him, he has no choice but to go. But in doing so, he ignores the vision of the blind seer Virginia Ramsey, who has seen deadly consequences at the end of the Ploughman’s journey.
Desperate for help from another source, Virginia sets out on a journey of her own, accompanied by the Darkworld priestess Rehtse — a journey to find the King and bring him to Pravik’s aid.
Their parallel journeys will at last open the way to the worlds unseen, bringing in powers, terrors, beauties, and a final confrontation no one could imagine. Central to the fate of their world are the Gifted: the Singer, Seer, Healer, Listener, Warrior, and Voice.

After finished Burning Light, I started Coming Day as soon as I could. I really, really wanted to know what was going to happen to all the characters I had come to love, as well as see the end of this epic fantasy trilogy. It was nothing, absolutely nothing like I expected. It was far better.

This story opens at a very low point. The hope and the energy that the last two books have built on has waned. People are discouraged and weary, a feeling that touched me deeply, because I have been there. I have been at a point where I wondered if anything good would ever happen again. Rachel was able to pull on my emotions and make me feel what the characters were feeling.


As I said before, Rachel’s writing style is nothing short of lyrical. I reread many portions and read some of them aloud, just because they sounded amazing. I can see this as a wonderful book to read aloud as a family.
The most exciting part of this book was that you see all the threads you have been following pulling together. All the stories are pulling together, and so are The Gifted.


The bad guys, as in the first two books, were pretty dark. There were also several intense parts, but I still really enjoyed the book a lot.

The ending was nothing like what I expected it to be. It was so much better. Rachel again showed herself in the top tier of writers for her imaginative story- telling that took this allegory beyond the norm.
I recommend this book for those whole loved the first two, love fantasy, adventure, and allegories.

You can buy this book on AmazonBarns and Noble, andSmashwords

No comments:

Post a Comment