Sunday, November 25, 2012

Book Review: Burning Light



Age group: 13+ For scary situations, and mild violence


Book Description: After five hundred years of oppression, the Seventh World is beginning to wake to the realities of the unseen world behind their own. The rise of the Gifted, young men and women with uncommon abilities, portends the coming of the King of ancient days - but evil is also waking. Aware that their control is beginning to slip, the Order of the Spider sets out to convert the Gifted or destroy them.
Among those caught in the conflict are Nicolas Fisher, a young Gypsy running from the past, and Maggie Sheffield, driven underground in the city of Pravik. Others also stand against the Blackness: the young chieftain Michael O'Roarke, the mysterious healer called Miracle, and the indomitable rebels of Pravik. Together, they will unearth a terrible plot and stand against the greatest evil their world has ever known.
As the world takes sides, their lives will play an integral role in the coming of light, or the triumph of darkness.

After reading the first book, I immediately bought the sequel. I had to know what was going to happen next, and was I in for more excitement than I thought.

There were only two things that I didn’t like about this book. 1. Sometimes the bad guys were a little too dark for my liking (although good ultimately always triumphs over evil) 2. There wasn’t a lot about Maggie. Although Maggie is part of the story, she doesn’t have as big of a role.

As I said before, Rachel’s writing style is nothing short of lyrical. I reread many portions and read some of them aloud, just because they sounded amazing. I can see this as a wonderful book to read aloud as a family.

Even though I didn’t like the fact that Maggie wasn’t as much in this book as she was the last book, Rachel introduced some wonderful characters to make up for it. Miracle was my favorite of the new characters. She was so sweet as well as wise; I couldn’t help but love her. I also loved how she cares for even the bad guys.

Rachel already established that she was a good world builder in the first book, but in this book she established herself as one of the best world builders ever in my mind. She introduced a culture that lives below the ground and has for many years. The Darkworlders were a culture unlike any other, and she did them well.

I recommend this book for those whole loved the first one, love fantasy, adventure, and allegories.

You can buy this book on Amazon, Barns and Noble, Smashwords, iTunes, and Kobo

1 comment:

  1. I love this book! And while Sarah may have been disappointed to see less of Maggie, I was thrilled to see more of Nicolas. I do agree that the bad guys can get a bit darker than I might prefer, but overall, I love Miss Thomson's entire Seventh World series.

    Thanks for the great review! :)

    ReplyDelete